2004 Specialized Globe, City/Commuting Bike
This type of bike is a rare item in the U.S.A., a fully equipped commuter bike. Bicycles for adults in the U.S.A. have morphed into machines that are mostly suited for full out road racing or hardcore off-road use. The practical features needed to use a bicycle for daily transportation have all but disappeared in recent decades in our car-centric culture.
The Specialized Globe 2004 had everything that is needed for this application: kickstand, full fenders, a hub generator for front and rear lights, rack, frame mounted lock, appropriate size tires, and an upright riding position that is very helpful when riding in traffic. This was available from Specialized at the remarkably low price of around $700.
At 55 cm, it was always a bit too big for me. The components on this bike were the inspiration for my current commuter bike .
Parts List / Specifications
- New lightweight oversized Specialized Trekking, A1 premium aluminum, heat treated, with internal lighting wiring and full braze-on fittings.
- Integrated Specialized TCR-D, 63 mm travel with preload.
- Fully Integrated oversized, 1 1/8” integrated threadless, alloy cap, 2x5 mm, 2x8 mm alloy spacers.
- Specialized adjustable, 3D forged alloy.
- Specialized alloy, 30 mm rise, 14-degree sweep.
- Hand Grips
- Body Geometry, triple density gel.
- Specialized linear pull, forged, with modulator.
- Shimano EF-29 EZ Fire 8-speed shifter.
- Front Derailleur
- Shimano Nexave, 31.8 clamp, bottom pull.
- Rear Derailleur
- Shimano Alivio, long cage.
- Shimano HG-50, 8-speed, Mega Range 11x34t.
- Shimano IG-31.
- Shimano Nexave 201, silver arms.
- 48Sx38Sx28S, hyperglide, with chainguard.
- Bottom Bracket
- Shimano BB-UN-25, 68 mm shell, 113 mm spindle, sealed bearing cartridge.
- Specialized alloy, kryton non-slip top, toe clip compatible.
- Alex DH-19,700x28c, alloy double wall, w/ machined sidewalls.
- Front Hub
- Shimano Nexave generator type, forged, 32-hole, double sealed, QR.
- Rear Hub
- Shimano Paralax, forged, 32-hole, cassette, double sealed, QR.
- Specialized, 2.0 mm (14g), stainless, brass nipples, L296/R296mm front, L295/R293mm rear.
- Came with Specialized Infinity 700x38C, 60TPI, Flak Jacket, with reflective stripes. I replaced with Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700c x 38 (ERTO 40-622).
- Came with Specialized Schraeder valve. I replaced with Schwalbe AV19 filled with Specialized Airlock sealant.
- Specialized Body Geometry Sport.
- Seat Post
- Alloy suspension, 30.9 mm x 350 mm, preload adjust.
- Seat Binder
- Specialized forged alloy w/ Allen head binder.
- Pletscher full alloy with black boot.
- AXA SL-7 Integrated.
- SKS Trekking 45, V-Stay, Security System ASR, SPB Fitting Rear, 3/4 Length, Sliding Bridge, Ecospoiler.
- Head Light
- Lumotech 170di Plus with switch and standlight function.
- Toplight 328ALK Plus with standlight function.
- Rear Rack
- Plescher Athlete with Pump Pick and 3-point system.
- Full alloy with alloy ringer.
- Full length integrated, high impact resin.
|Nominal Size||55 cm|
|Stand Over Height||812 mm|
|Seat Tube Length, Center to Top||535 mm|
|Top Tube Length||656 mm|
|Head Tube Length||110 mm|
|Chain Stay Length||450 mm|
|Front Center||633 mm|
|Fork Offset||50 mm|