Specialized Globe 2004, City/Commuting Bike
This type of bike is a rare item in the U.S.A., a fully equipped commuter bike.
Bicycles for adults in the U.S.A. have morphed into machines that are mostly suited
for full out road racing or hardcore off road use. The practical features needed
to use a bicycle for daily transportation have all but disappeared in recent decades
in our car-centric culture.
The Specialized Globe 2004 had everything that is needed for this application: kickstand,
full fenders, a hub generator for front and rear lights, rack, frame mounted lock,
appropriate size tires, and an upright riding position that is very helpful when
riding in traffic. All of this was available from
Specialized at the remarkably low price of around $700.
At 55 cm, it was always a bit to big for me. The
components on this bike were the inspiration for
my current commuter bike.
Parts List / Specifications
- New lightweight oversized Specialized Trekking, A1 premium aluminum,
heat treated, with internal lighting wiring and full braze-on fittings.
- Integrated Specialized TCR-D, 63 mm travel with preload.
- Fully Integrated oversized, 1 1/8” integrated threadless, alloy
cap, 2x5 mm, 2x8 mm alloy spacers.
- Specialized adjustable, 3D forged alloy.
- Specialized alloy, 30 mm rise, 14 degree sweep.
- Hand Grips
- Body Geometry, triple density gel.
- Specialized linear pull, forged, with modulator.
- Shimano EF-29 EZ Fire 8-speed shifter.
- Front Derailleur
- Shimano Nexave, 31.8 clamp, bottom pull.
- Rear Derailleur
- Shimano Alivio, long cage.
- Shimano HG-50, 8-speed, Mega Range 11x34t.
- Shimano IG-31.
- Shimano Nexave 201, silver arms.
- 48Sx38Sx28S, hyperglide, with chainguard.
- Bottom Bracket
- Shimano BB-UN-25, 68 mm shell, 113 mm spindle, sealed bearing
- Specialized alloy, kryton non-slip top, toe clip compatible.
- Alex DH-19,700x28c, alloy double wall, w/ machined sidewalls.
- Front Hub
- Shimano Nexave generator type, forged, 32 hole, double sealed,
- Rear Hub
- Shimano Paralax, forged, 32 hole, cassette, double sealed, QR.
- Specialized, 2.0 mm (14g), stainless, brass nipples, L296/R296mm
front, L295/R293mm rear.
- Came with Specialized Infinity 700x38C, 60TPI, Flak Jacket, w/ reflective
stripes. I replaced with Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700c x 38 (ETRTO 40-622).
- Came with Specialized Schraeder valve. I replaced with Schwalbe AV19
filled with Specialized Airlock sealant.
- Specialized Body Geometry Sport.
- Seat Post
- Alloy suspension, 30.9 mm x 350 mm, preload adjust.
- Seat Binder
- Specialized forged alloy w/ Allen head binder.
- Pletscher full alloy with black boot.
- AXA SL-7 Integrated.
- SKS Trekking 45, V-Stay, Security System ASR, SPB Fitting Rear,
3/4 Length, Sliding Bridge, Ecospoiler.
- Head Light
- Lumotech 170di Plus with switch and standlight function.
- Tail Light
- Toplight 328ALK Plus with standlight function.
- Rear Rack
- Plescher Athlete with Pump Pick and 3 point system.
- Full alloy with alloy ringer.
- Full length integrated, high impact resin.
|Stand Over Height
|Seat Tube Length, Center to Top
|Top Tube Length
|Head Tube Length
|Chain Stay Length